Saturday, June 8, 2013

Extended School Year

This will be my first year teaching extended school year. I'll be working with a small group of 5 & 6 year olds. Extended School Year- or ESY- is an opportunity for students with special needs to get extra practice on their IEP goals to help in preventing regression or to have additional time to work on emerging skills. I'm excited to get a chance to work with this group of kids. I'll only have them Monday through Wednesday for 3 hours a day for 4 weeks so I really won't have too much time with them. I have been looking through their goals to see what they have in common. Most have goals related to expressively or receptively identifying colors and shapes and rote counting to 10. I've decided to stick to one theme and try to incorporate those basic goals into our circle time using that theme. For the four weeks, I'm going to focus on "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" I remember using this book a lot when I taught special needs preschool & my students really loved it. I found my old CD with the song version of the story & plan on singing that everyday during circle time. I just did a TPT and Teacher's Notebook search and found an activity for all 12 days of ESY. Here are all of the FREEBIE's I found:

Day 1: Introduce book & vocabulary using cards found here.

Day 2: Color the emergent reader found here.

Day 3: Roll a color word game found here.

Day 4: Shapes game found here.

Day 5: Animal count found here.

Day 6: Letter discrimination found here.

Day 7: Smartboard games found here.

Day 8: Color words cards found here. I plan to handwrite the words for them & laminate and Velcro the pieces to create interactive cards.

Day 9: Candy sorting found here.

Day 10: Counting practice found here.

Day 11: What do you hear? found here.

Day 12: Brown Bear Bingo found at my TPT store.

Here are some other great resources if I have time:
 
Brown Bear unit at 1+1+1=1.
 
Story Patterns here.
 
Check out my Brown Bear Pinterest board for more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment